SLS can provide information and assistance in most areas of the law.

Our services include free legal advice, consultation, and representation in court if your case involves a civil (non-criminal) matter. In most civil cases, we can represent you in court as well as handle preliminary matters like responding to another lawyer.

Below are a few areas of practice we deal with most commonly:   

Landlord-Tenant Issues

SLS provides IU-Bloomington students with advice and representation in landlord-tenant matters, including:
  • Security Deposit Refunds and Disputes
  • Habitability Issues
  • Evictions
  • Subleases
  • Lease Analysis

For more information, check out “Top Ten Things to Think About When you Rent” .

Criminal Law Issues

SLS provides advice and assistance to IU-Bloomington students who have been charged with a crime in Indiana. We cannot represent clients in criminal matters, but we will give you the information you need to maneuver your way through the criminal justice system, and will refer you to local criminal defense attorneys if you need or want to retain counsel. For more information about criminal law in Indiana, check out “Cop Some Defense” [LINK] and “Party Smart” .

Family Circumstances

We have represented students seeking divorces and name changes, helped students adopt children, and assisted with guardianships and living wills for students and their families.

Financial Trouble

SLS has experience in helping students handle issues regarding debts, warranties, buying and selling goods, and insurance. We will interpret legal jargon, negotiate the best outcome we can, and represent you in court when necessary.

Car Accident Cases

If you are involved in a car accident, SLS will provide you with the advice and information you need to deal with insurance companies and the court system to reach a resolution.

Personal Safety

When you feel your safety is at risk, SLS can assist you with Orders for Protection, including dealing with your landlord if you need to move out. If another IU student is involved, we will refer you to outside agencies or alternative student resources.

If you are unsure whether Student Legal Services will assist you in your situation, call us at our offices (812-855-7867) to find out more about what we can do to help.